Saturday, April 14, 2018

I'm on a roll!

I've been able to work on quite a few quilts lately!  At the beginning of the year, I made a list of all my UFOs, and I'm working at getting some (most?) of them finished up and donated.  Of course, I've since found a few more, so every time I think that I can cross one more quilt off the list, another UFO pops up in it's place!
I've also started a new one - I've mentioned before that I'm working on a few quilts for a local hospital's PCCU, and I came across a quick and easy "guy" quilt tutorial the other day.  I should say though, that reading through the pattern first would have been a VERY good idea!  It just needed 6 different colours or shades of one colour (I used 6 blue Kona cottons).  The pattern didn't specify yardage, but someone asked in the comment section, and the answer was "I used about half a yard of each colour".  So, I made a quick trip to the quilt shop - and just to be on the safe side, I bought .6m of each fabric (approx. 23").  Got home, washed and dried my fabrics, and started cutting, only to find out that you can't get (14) 2 1/4" strips out of 18" (or 23" for that matter).  So, back to the quilt shop...
It really is a quick and easy pattern!  I sewed the strips on Saturday, pressed and subcut them Monday morning, and had the top done by supper time.  It measures 50" x 68", so just exactly the right size!  I'm hoping to get it quilted this week.  The picture doesn't show the true colours, but you get the idea!

Then there are the scraps!  I started sorting them by colour about 2 years ago, but every scrap got tossed into a bucket, without regard for shape or size.  Now, I'm spending about an hour each day, just cutting up scraps into the sizes I use most often - and then I put some beside my machine to use as leaders / enders - or sometimes I just want to sew something different!  These strips will be made into a Chinese Coins quilt - not sure yet how it will look...
I also finally got the borders put on this quilt - it's Jack of Hearts by Heather Spence: 
It's going to be a square quilt - maybe about 63" square.  I'm hoping that it will get into the quilting line-up this week or next.  I'm also going to be making a couple of blocks for a very special quilt in the next day or two - check back next week to see what I'll be working on next!
Thanks for stopping by!
Linking up to Sarah at Can I get a Whoop-whoop? and Amanda Jean at Finish it up Friday

1 comment:

  1. Your "guy quilt" looks fantastic! I think I have a copy of that tutorial/pattern squirreled away on my computer somewhere. Gotta try that one :)

    ReplyDelete