Monday, June 19, 2017

My newest quilt! and some knitting..

A few years ago, I purchased a fat quarter pack of Project Linus fabrics, and some yardage from the same line.  I was sort-of involved with making afghans and quilts for Project Linus at the time, but, as often happens, life took a turn, and I got busy with other things.  Now I've come full-circle, and decided to pull out those fabrics and actually make something with them.
So, first things first - what quilt pattern should I use?  I looked through the various quilts that I have bookmarked over the years, and also my Pinterest boards, and finally decided on "Hugs and Kisses".  I was able to get 2 - 10" squares cut from each fat quarter.  There were 13 fabrics that were usable for the blocks (the other fabrics had white backgrounds - they'll be used in other PL quilts), so I ended up with 26 blocks.  One block finished too small (?) and I set one more aside, and made a quilt with 4 blocks per row, and 6 rows.  I used the red Snoopy print for the backing and a great striped fabric for the binding, and voila! a completed quilt for Project Linus!
There are two prints with black backgrounds - one is striped, and the other is a text prints that says "Security is a thumb and a blanket" - so appropriate for a Project Linus quilt!
I've also been really busy working in the yard - sorry, no photos, but in my spare time I've been getting some knitting done.  It seems like all the young women that are having babies now are having boys, so my "stash" of baby girl gifts is being abandoned...  Knitting boy's sweaters is about the only thing I'm working on lately - including this little pullover for a certain almost-one-year-old little guy.  It's another "Tenderheart" sweater from Tin Can Knits - done up in a soft green this time.  I'm so close to joining the body to the sleeves - and then the stranded colour work gets done...  The photo doesn't do the colour justice - maybe the completed sweater will show more true.

Linking up to Kat's Sew Some Love page.

Friday, June 2, 2017

Kicking off June!

These items were all supposed to be blogged about in May, but somehow, the month has ended, and I didn't get the post written.  Of course, that makes June's first post a bit more exciting then, right?
I did manage to finish the quilt I was working in on my last post - except that it took a wee bit longer to do than my estimate of 20-30 minutes...  Two hours later, I snipped the last of the threads holding it to the machine - and I'm finally getting it's picture taken today.
This quilt will be donated to Project Linus.
I can't remember the name of the fabric, but it's made with 2 charm packs and some Kona Snow.  It's a disappearing 9-patch quilt - so fun and easy to do!  I did a diagonal stitch both ways through each block and also stitched in the ditch around each block.  It's got a bright striped binding to finish.
I also managed to finish a 4-week long knitting project.  I saw notices on Facebook from Red Heart yarn, talking about a shawl knit-along. The pattern looked easy enough (I've been knitting since I was 12, so, about 30 years?  LOL), so I signed up to knit the Textured Triangle Shawl.  It was a lot of fun to knit - so much fun in fact, that I've started a second one and have yarn for a third one!  The yarn for this project is a chunky / bulky weight (size 5), so it went fairly quickly.  I chose a pale grey - it will probably match more clothing colours that way.  I finished a few days after the official deadline - the garden was in desperate need of some attention, so that got in the way, but the shawl is finished now!
I think it's a bit smaller than the pattern suggests (more people commented on the same thing), but it's big enough for me!
Linking up to Sarah's Can I get a Whoop-Whoop, and Kat's Sew Some Love posts.