Monday, April 10, 2017

A productive day!

It's been quite a while since I've actually been able to sit at my sewing machine for longer than 5 or 10 minutes.  My sewing room needed a major clean-up / sort out / purge (this is what's kept me from sewing for the past two weeks), and most of what I needed to do has been done.  Hopefully, I can finish it up soon!
Part of what started all this is the UFO challenge that Judy issued a few months ago.  I listed 12 projects that I needed to finish this year - some of them are at least 8 or 9 years old - and am trying to complete them in a month's time.  In order to make that list, I had to find some of the projects, and determine how much needed to be done - could I do it in a month?  Then I'd wait for Judy to choose a number - and then I'd pull that project, work on it, and hopefully finish it.
This month's project number was #1 - which was my pink and brown log cabin quilt.  A number of years ago, I belonged to a quilt forum - we had a great group of ladies!  We did a lot of block-of-the-month swaps, and then different projects - one of them being a log-cabin swap.  We each chose a log cabin pattern, and our colour scheme - then the administrator would pair us up and we'd make the block our partner chose, in her colours - and she'd do the same for me.  Unfortunately, we only made it through about 5 or 6 months before most of us lost interest....
I had chosen pink and brown for my colours - it was a good thing that I really loved those colours then, because I had to make a few more!  The strips had been cut, and actually moved with us twice, so it was definitely time to finish this project!
I had most of the day today to work on this quilt, and I'm very happy to report that it's finally a top - ready to sandwich and quilt!  Voila!
Now the one thing about sewing log cabin blocks is that you have to do a LOT of "stitch a seam, press a seam; repeat" - and in order to press my seams efficiently, I found it best to use a leader-ender project to avoid wasting the thread on my last wound bobbin.  So, I also managed to make a few scrappy blocks!  I've put them up on my design wall - and here they are: 
These blocks are super-simple to make - all of the parts are 2.5" x 4.5", so they are easy to cut up and the blocks go together quickly!  This probably won't be the final layout, but it gives you an idea of how bright and cheerful the quilt is going to be!  There are a number of charities that are looking for quilts just like that, so it will find a home soon!
Linking up to Judy's Design Wall post, as well as Quilting is More Fun than Housework's Oh Scrap post and She Can Quilt's Scraptastic Tuesday post.

5 comments:

  1. I love that scrappy Block! Is have made several tops with it. My plan is to make one for each of my 19 grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you made lots of scrappy progress. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done on finishing up your log cabins and I love your scrappy block one too! Thank you for linking up to #scraptastictuesday

    ReplyDelete