Thursday, January 26, 2017

Canada's Big Quilt Bee

You've probably seen the logo for Canada's Big Quilt Bee on my sidebar - but do you know what it's about?  Canada is celebrating it's 150th anniversary this summer (July 1st), and there are a number of different quilting "events" going on.  One of them is Canada's Big Quilt Bee.  The Canadian Quilter's Association has made a commitment to Ronald McDonald houses across Canada - we will be supplying them with 1,000 quilts!  That's a pretty crazy number, but quilters are a generous bunch, and blocks and quilts are being made across the country.  There's a few "rules" - we have to use fabric from several specific lines created especially for the anniversary, and we have to make a "slab" block. Cheryl Arkison (author of Sunday Morning Quilts), graciously allowed us to use her slab block pattern from her "Missing U" quilt pattern.
I've already made and sent a few blocks, but our guild is making a few quilts as a group effort, and we're using a different fabric line than I originally bought.  We were each given a charm square, and were asked to make a block, or two, or a few, and then return them to be assembled at a specific sewing day.
I have more fabric from this line, so I decided to make 4 blocks.  I was given the aqua fabric, and pulled my aqua scraps to make 2 blocks.  I also cut up some of the red maple leaves fabric that I bought for my 150 Canadian Women quilt-along, and made 2 more blocks in red - and here they are:
The red blocks are quite a bit scrappier than the aqua - I used mostly aqua strips from FQs for them, but I raided my red scraps for the 2nd set of blocks.
I'm linking up to Kat's Sew Some Love link-up and also Cynthia's Oh Scrap post.

2 comments:

  1. Great project Jannette! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these colors together. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

    ReplyDelete