Monday, November 30, 2015

Floral strip quilt #1

My November ALYoF project is done - on the last day of the month (again), but it's done!  I even managed to work on another project or two and did some Christmas shopping AND went away for the w/e with my hubby.
For this quilt, I made strips out of the large scale floral fabrics that Cathy and I are using for our Disappearing 4 Patch swap blocks.  The blocks are 4" x 6.5" and the yellow dividing strips are 4" x 1.5".  The terracotta Kona fabric is 4" x the Width of Fabric, and I think there are 7 rows of "bricks" in this quilt.  The problem is, I cut most of my large scale floral fabrics into bricks, and I cut as many yellow dividing strips as I could get out of 0.5 meters - that's a LOT of yellow strips, and consequently, a lot of rows!
As a matter of fact, I think I have another 15 rows of floral strips with yellow divider strips left over!  That's enough for 2 more quilts!  Needless to say, I went out last Friday to buy enough "pickle" Kona fabric to use for one of the extra quilts, AND I found the perfect fabric (on sale!) for the back of that quilt.  If I look hard enough, I may have another bright piece of Kona cotton kicking around here to use for quilt #3...  or I could go shopping again!
So, the finished quilt is ready to show to you.  I used a decorative stitch on my sewing machine for the quilting, and another one to sew the binding down, so the quilt should be able to withstand some wear and tear.  It will be given to one of my favourite charities (Word and Deed) - and I hope that it will brighten up the life of a child and maybe even his family.  I'll be linking up with Melissa's Finishes Party post.
Now that this quilt is done, I've started quilting a top that I finished last year when I did Angela's Rainbow Scrap Challenge last year.  It will also go to Word and Deed, so I should really finish it and get it shipped out this year yet...  I'll post something about it soon!  
December will be the last month to work on ALYoF projects for this year, and I'm not planning to participate in it next year.  I have several time-consuming commitments already sucking up a lot of my time, and it doesn't look like next year is going to have more hours in a day, so I'm going to take a year off from that challenge.  I am hoping to join up with Angela's Rainbow Scrappy Challenge though.  You'll hear more about that in the coming weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on completing your Nov. goal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Easily, the article is actually the best topic on this registry related issue. I fit in with your conclusions and will eagerly look forward to your next updates. Just saying thanks will not just be sufficient, for the fantasti c lucidity in your writing. I will instantly grab your rss feed to stay informed of any updates. custom website development company

    ReplyDelete