Wednesday, August 6, 2014

This is what I'm planning to do this month!

It's already almost too late to enter my quilting project for the ALYoF challenge - August seems to be flying by as quickly as July did!  But, I still have a day (phew!) to link up on Melissa's site so I'd better get going!  I'm choosing a fairly simple project for this month - it's bound to get kind of crazy around here, so a bigger project probably won't get done in time.
I've seen a number of Herringbone quilts around blogland, and I've wanted to make one for a while.  I had 2 charm packs of Vintage Modern that I had cut in half diagonally about 2 or 3 months ago to use as leaders and enders - but, you know how that goes - you can't sew just one!  Pretty soon, my original project took a back seat so I could piece these blocks (that might explain why my June project didn't get done on time!).  But that's where the fun ended - trimming blocks isn't my favourite thing to do - but I'm thankful when they're done!  So, the HST blocks just sat there for a few weeks...
Now that July's project is out of the way, I'm ready to go!  I stitched a few blocks together and staged them as they'll end up in the quilt - and I discovered that you really have to make sure that you piece an equal amount of left-hand and right-hand blocks, or the pattern doesn't work.
I have no idea how big this quilt will be - but as long as it's at least 32" square, it will do for the organization that will be getting this quilt.
So, here are a few of the blocks:
I think I'm going to like this quilt!